Newmont Ghana Committed To Supporting Economic Growth In Ghana

Newmont Ghana has announced that almost 80% of its earnings from gold sales were retained in the country in 2012, contrary to some recent claims. The earnings retained in Ghana were spent on corporate taxes, local contractors and vendors, wages and benefits and land access. The remaining 20% was spent on offshore debt payments, heavy equipment and other offshore purchase. Since mining commenced at Ahafo in 2006, Newmont Ghana has: - Invested more than USD$2.3 billion in Ghana - Paid more than USD$560 million to the government in royalties, taxes and other revenues - Directly and indirectly created over 48,000 jobs in Ghana - Provided about 400 local businesses with nearly USD$39 million in contracts, supporting more than 400 jobs, excluding direct mine employment - Paid over USD$180 million to the government in royalties, taxes and other revenues in 2012; and - Generated nearly 10% of the nation's total exports and 4.5% of its total foreign direct investment and 1.3% of GDP in 2009. To date, the company has made voluntary contributions of up to USD$17 million to the Newmont Ahafo Development Foundation (NADeF) for sustainable development programs in the mine’s host communities. Since we started operations in 2006, the company has complied with all financial, legal and regulatory frameworks of the country, resulting in it being adjudged Ghana’s most compliant corporate tax payer in 2011. “We remain committed to Ghana for the long term and will continue partnering with the government and people to bring sustainable value and opportunity for all our stakeholders,” said Dave Schummer, Senior Vice President of Newmont’s Africa Region. In addition to its significant financial and economic development contributions, Newmont Ghana has been ISO14001 certified since 2010. ISO 14001 is a benchmark for which top international companies are assessed to ensure adherence to the highest standards in environmental practice. We were recertified for ISO 14001 in June 2013 for improved performance and showing leadership in environmental stewardship. Newmont also has been selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for the last six years. Newmont Ghana remains committed to partnering with the Government and people of Ghana in its bid to bring sustainable development for all. END About Newmont Ghana Newmont Ghana is one of five core operating districts of Newmont Mining Corporation (, one of the largest gold companies in the world. Newmont Ghana operates the Ahafo Mine in the Brong-Ahafo Region and also has a development project, the Akyem Project in the Birim North District of the Eastern Region. The company employs approximately 8,539 employees and contractors, with the majority working at its Ahafo Mine. Newmont is the only gold company listed in the S&P 500 index and in 2007 became the first gold company selected to be part of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index. Newmont’s industry leading performance is reflected through Newmont Ghana’s high standards in environmental management, health and safety for its employees and creating value and opportunity for its host communities and Newmont’s shareholders. More information can be found in Newmont's annual sustainability report, The report is published as part of Newmont’s ongoing obligations as a founding member of the International Council on Mining and Metals ( and in accordance with its commitments under the United Nations' Global Compact ( and the Voluntary Principles on Security and Human Rights ( Regional Media Contact: Adiki O. Ayitevie Director, External Affairs and Communications 024 433 0870 [email protected]