Burkina Faso defeats Guinea

The Stallions of Burkina Faso on Sunday defeated their Guinean counterparts, Sylli National 2-1 in the penultimate match of the Group E Africa/World Cup qualifier played at the Ohene Djan Stadium in Accra. Playing at the Ohene Djan Stadium, Accra as their home venue following political instability in Guinea, the Sylii Nationals showed little seriousness in their approach to the game as they concentrated much of their game in the middle. Burkina Faso however on the other hand adopted the counter-attack approach and this worked to perfection as they invaded the Guinean defence several times in search of the opener. They succeeded in the 36th minute when Jonathan Pitroipa raced into the Guinea defence and was brought down in the "18" yard box for a penalty. Top marksman Mumuni Dagano expertly converted for his side and they managed to hold onto their goal till the close of the first half. A more aggressive Guinean side started the second half with skipper Pascal Feindoune, Fode Mansare and Ismeal Bangoura raiding the Burkinabe defence on countless occasions but were unable to fetch the much needed equaliser. The Guineans remained in the half in the Burkinabes in search of the equaliser but lacked the bite upfront to cause any havoc before the Stallions broke off from another counter attack with Pitroipa once again into the Guinean defence to set up Habib Bamoga. Bamoga expertly trapped the ball with ease and displaced a Guinean defender before firing past Kemoko Camara in goal for the Guineans for the second goal in the 59th minute. The Burkinabe's held on to the lead till the 80th minute when they dropped their guards and allowed the Guineans to pull one back through Dioude Mamdiu Baah who connected home a well taken corner kick by Kevin Constant. Even though the 'home' team were motivated by the 80th minute goal they did all in at least settling for a draw, but it was too late for them to redeem their image as the minutes ticked off to the end of proceedings.